We Aren't Archives

It seems all of my assistants are having a hilarious time on this blog about this 'supposed' romantic crush this guy has on me. So I ain't talking about that! I already feel like I'm suffocating from all of them asking about what I'm going to do about it.

So what am I going to talk about? Hmmm.... I wonder. I know! Let's talk about something we call WEEDING. Yeah, that's right we have to actually pull books off the shelves and sell them. After a while books aren't checked out, and they sit there lonely on our shelves, (most often catching dust) so we, as diligent librarians, feel sorry and finally send these books off to much more deserving people.

It's a LLLLOOOONNNGGG arduous process that takes six months (for most) to get the whole collection. For large libraries, they have their whole staff do it, for small libraries they have volunteers and the FOL (Friends of the Library) help.

So what happens after the (relief of having the collection) weeding. We sell all the books. (Some go to dumps, sadly) But then of course there are those few patrons that ask just why we got rid of a certain book, well there's only one thing I can say. "We aren't archives."

It a sad day though having to get rid of books. (*crying*) But it's one thing a librarian has to do for the sake of the library.

Sincerely,

The Egg Wolfing, Exhausted Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment