The Help

I've just about finished The Help and boy is it good.  Not in the kind of good where you smile and feel good but in the kind of good where your glad things have changed in this world.  Many times we feel like the world has become a rotten place but in this instance it has become better.  Yet, at the same time it makes you feel sad that things ever were they way they were.  The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960 and it follows a white society maiden who is an unknown radical.  Unknown to even her.  She decides to write a book about black maids in white family's and how things are from their perspective.  If you don't shed a few tears then you must be a strong person.  When I finished I was glad of the changes I have made in my own thoughts over the years.  I grew up during this time and can remember how things were at the time and never thinking it was wrong.  Why has my perspective changed?  I really don't know but I am so glad it has.  May we never forget to look at the past so that we can make a better future.   

Sincerely,
The Stoic Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment